Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Anthem of Humanity

Just a piece of writing I love, by Khalil Gibran

It was but yesterday
we met in a dream
you have sung to me in my aloneness,
and I of your longings
have built a tower in the sky

But now our sleep has fled

and our dream is over,
and it is no longer dawn.

The noontide is upon us
and our half waking
has turned to fuller day
and we must part

If in the twilight of memory
we should meet once more
we shall speak again together
and you shall sing to me
a deeper song

And if our hands should meet
in another dream
we shall build
another tower in the sky

I came across this poem when I was reading Jaishree Misra's 'Ancient Promises'. May be the theme went well with the novel's plot. But somehow, I like the piece of poetry very much. I jotted the lines in my book and kept them treasured for long also. Usually I never read poems, but somehow this one interests me a lot.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great words and great of you to start such a blog. :-) I always wanted to do something like this in a group, but never got around to do it...

Resmi... said...

@ Rockus: Thanks for that... Main prob is that I don't read much nowadays and all what I've read, I keep forgetting all those... :( Contributions are welcome.. ;)