Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Fairy Tales

I still remember that the the first fairy tale I read was that of the sleeping beauty. A princess falls asleep due to a curse on her and sleeps for a hundred years to be woken up only by the kiss of a young handsome prince. The most fascinating thing about these stories were the fantasy involved and the pictures in the books - I loved them. All those princes and princesses with wide blue eyes, red lips, and golden hair, the wonderful castles, the beautiful animals. Even an ugly toad looked cute in fairy tales.


Next book which captured my interest was Cinderella. Now there is nobody who doesn't know the story - rags to riches. Followed by that was Rumpeltiltskin, Snow White and Seven Dwarfs, Pinnochio, The Little Mermaid, Little Red Riding Hood, Rapunzel, Ali Baba and the 40 Thieves, Beauty and the Beast, and so on.


How I loved these books as a child. I was thrilled by the colors - all vibrant and rich. But one thing, I don't know the authors of any. Or is there anything like that? No idea.

I loved the princess in The Sleeping Beauty and always wondered how she could sleep for all these years without waking. When I used to wake up to go to school in the early mornings, how I wished I could be the sleeping princess. The Little Mermaid scared me as there was a mention about a witch who took the princess's voice. Rapunzel was a real beauty. But the thought of the blinded prince falling to the ground made me sad. While the feelings evoked in me after reading Cinderella were different. I too wanted to turn things into beautiful things of my choice. I still love reading fairy tales but not online. I love them as small, thin books, with smooth pages and colorful pictures.


No comments: